Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Word to Watch

I am completely annoyed/fascinated by the recent mutations of the word “geek”.

People are no longer just geeks. One can geek out, and now, apparently, one can be geeked by other things. You can geek out on or about something, or you can just geek.

Geeking out has been around for a few years, but it’s recently shot up the charts. I’ve probably heard it a hundred times this year already and I’ve seen several utterly insane abuses of this term as well. For example, I just read an article where a US military guy said that when the shells started to fall on his unit, everybody “geeked out”. What? I guess geeking out is the new freaking out. I’ll just have to get used to it, the same way I got used to elderly people constantly saying “bling” a couple years ago.

No comments: