Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Vielfalt


I just read a great article about a modern origami master on the New Yorker website that blew my mind just with the written descriptions - then I actually searched for pictures, and now I’m really impressed.

I urge you to read the article for yourself, but basically the artist is a young, respected American laser physicist who is now living the dream of professional origami folder. Surreal and fascinating. I’m going to need to investigate this subject further. Maybe I can print out some designs and figure out how to make them myself...?

Slightly later: Here is the plan of the fiddler crab above; apparently most designs are made from a single sheet of uncut paper. I think I will have to start smaller. FYI the title is German for “manifold”, well, the noun version of manifold, which would be what? diversity? complexity? Doesn’t have the same ring.

No comments: