Sunday, September 03, 2006

back to school

September with its stormy showers has pierced to the root the drought of August, and I’m once again taking a deep procrastinatory breath before diving down, down into the pellucid fonts of academe, from which I hope to return, gasping, nauseous and briny, with the precious pearl of wisdom, although I’m certainly no Thornton Melon. I allude obliquely, dear reader – via the time-honoured and universal language of old Rodney Dangerfield movies – to the commencement of my autumnal online grad classes as I pursue my teaching certification.

Anyhoo, this semester should be a lot different from the last one, because I now know many of my fellow students, having met them face to mano a mano to Face, as they say in Ecuador, over the summer in Virginia. Last semester I really had no desire to respond my fellow online classmates’ posts, or even to read them that carefully, because I had no freaking idea who they were, or if they had senses of humor or were prudes or what. It’s unsurprisingly hard to gauge someone’s personality from posts about pedagogy.

Now I think I’ll probably have the opposite problem, and be too casual and cliquey with the whole discussion board thing. I’ll try to keep a good balance. Either way, I like online classes so far – some of the concepts in last spring’s linguistics class were a little difficult to grasp with only the textbook for help, but otherwise I think I learned about the same amount as I would have on campus, and it’s nice to be able to respond to things on the discussion board at odd hours of the night. It’s sort of like being able to pull an all-nighter writing a paper and then not having to go to class at all. Or something. Hang on. It’s like getting to eat in the cafeteria at any hour of the day or night, without having to stick to certain hours for lunch or dinner. OK never mind the metaphors, online classes are, as Larry David might say, pretty, pretty, pretty good, let’s leave it at that.

3 comments:

Jinna said...

Sorry I am a bit behind. Online classes? Sounds cool, what are you studying?

albtraum said...

Hey Jinna sorry for being vague - I'm not sure yet how much detailed personal info people usually put on these things... and my natural tendency is to be very roundabout. Oh well. I'm getting a Masters' degree and Virginia teacher certification in English as a Second Language and also possibly English. I just found out a year ago that I like teaching and since then I've been working as fast as I can to get experience and certification as a teacher. I'm almost done with the classes for certification and I'm trying to see what positions might be available for me here in KL next year. ESL is a great subject for me to be studying because while it's education there's also a lot of linguistics involved, which I really like. Later!

Jinna said...

Very cool, Alex. I bet you are a great teacher. :)